TMA&Cycles - page 6

Headrick Prescot filter

mladen:
NiCForce,

I am taking a liberty to answer your question, hope you won't mind

Let make a distinction as of what "repainting" is and what is not (and I will give you an example) :
we usually use the "repaints" term for wrongly coded indicators : indicators that change previous values because they "think" that they are using past data when using future data (solar wind in all its reincarnations, for example), when they use multiple colors and than change colors backwards because of coding errors, and so on...

the term recalculating is something completely different (even if that term is misleading since it is a normal "calculation" and not "re-calculation") : there are a lot of indicators which, by their nature, must recalculate values. Centered MAs and SSA are some of those - it is their nature, and they can not be made differently

Now, are they less useful because of that : I will avoid answering that question but will let you use indicators from the attachment : it is a Hodrick-Prescott filter and it is also "recalculating". What I would also like to do is to draw your attention to a wiki page where it is described (here : Hodrick-Prescott filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) and to a fact that is written at 4th line of that article : "and recent Nobel Prize winner Edward C. Prescott.[1]" He got it, among other things, for his work on this filter

All these are actually dealing in probability of an event and that is what simba is doing here : using probability shown by these indicators in his/our advantage. Of course that sometimes there will be "wrong calls" but that is what probability is all about : probable not certain (otherwise it would be a holly grail)

regards

mladen

Yes mladen Prescott filter is absolutely awesome - just only with that type of indicator you are able to improve a lot of other

Files:
hpb.mq4  8 kb

A lot of thanks, mladen and mrtools

Now I see the picture differently, suchs as you already meant of, the indicator, are probabilitie that you can filter, to a low risk entry trade.

This makes the difference between profit traders and no profit traders.

Your set up is very well for 4H chart, but in the lower time frames it is a hurricane.

And although my favorite timeframe are 5m, I could not resist it, to play with the settings

That the time cycle no longer apply to 5M,you knew also.

But nevertheless I obtained very good probabilities, this way well that it seems HOLLY REPAINT.

And this in almost each time frame, I will post later TPL and the rules.

But think it is better, to test it forward, to find the better filters.

Before release

NiCForce

Edit at first post

I have added an important comment at the first post of this thread regarding the use of CoronaCyclePeriod vs CyclePeriod...basically,Corona is way better and gives a better fit for this method,so try to use it prioritarily.

Regards

S

Interesting

Very interesting link regarding Hurst...

http://wintrend.com/Reports/TCPToday.pdf

I will post at the digital filters section too.

S

good job here !

Thanks Simba

Thank you for this great thread!

How do I add these "wider bands" to my charts? Can I add a certain indicator to get them? I am a non-programmer.

Can someone please explain the purpose of the Corona indicator?

Chris

SIMBA:
Now ,what we do is ADD a new wider band,to do so,we do the following...

1-Measure the dominant cycle length at the next higher timeframe(D1)...As you can see in the pic ,this period is 30 days.

2-Translate the D1 period to H4 period..30 days=180 h4 periods...

3-Set the halflength of the new h4 band to half of 180=90...

4-Set the new atr multiplier to approx square root of the periods ratio multiplied by previous(h4) atr... ..It is very easy ..D1/h4=6..so sqr root of 6 approx 2.5,previous atr was 2.0..so,now we set the new atr multiplier to 5(2.5*2)

As a rule of thumb,you use 2 ATR in your main TMA then if you want to embed it,you use the following ratios...you can tweak them by 0.5 up or down upon visual inspection.

If main is H1=2.0 ATR..YOU embed in h4=4.0 ATR

If main is H4=2.0 ATR ..you embed in D1=5.0 ATR

Do not use any tf(for the moment ) below h1.

RECAP:The red bands are 14 periods,2 ATR,the blue bands are 90 periods,5 ATR..and looks like we have spotted an interesting opportunity in the making.

I presume that they may be some questions,so,I will wait for them before proceeding.

Regards

S

Hi again.

Can someone please help understand how to determine the settings for Simba's Triangular MA for others pairs like USDJPY, USDCAD? I have read this entire thread but I am not understanding how the settings are calculated.

Thank you.

chris1010:
Hi again.

Can someone please help understand how to determine the settings for Simba's Triangular MA for others pairs like USDJPY, USDCAD? I have read this entire thread but I am not understanding how the settings are calculated.

Thank you.

Chris,

Please be so kind to post a specific example,with a pic attacched,of exactly the pair and tf you want me to help you with.

In that pic,show the Corona Cycle period and the TMA bands and comment about the settings,and I will tell you how I would proceed about them...You know repeating the same explanation I did before makes no sense ...So,better to post a specific example with specific comments,and,maybe,I can help you....At least I will try

Regards

S

Simba,

Hi. I re-read the first three posts of this thread and answered the questions I asked in my last posts. Sorry for my asking questions that were already answered in this great thread.

I am not sure if I have the correct settings for this USDJPY 4hr chart. I have posted the chart. The fit of the outer bands doesn't look right to me, but maybe I am mistaken.

Inner Bands

Corona Cycle Dominant: 26 periods

TMA Half Length: 13

ATR Multiplier: 2

Outer Bands(Daily)

Corona Cycle Dominant: 78 periods(26x6=156)(156/2=78)

TMA Half Length: 39

ATR Multiplier: 5

Another question is do I need to check the Corona Cycle Period daily for the dominant cycle and change the TMA settings accordingly?

Thank you.

Chris

Files:
usdjpy240.gif  51 kb
Reason: