Repainting indicators

There has been a lot of discussion regarding repainting indicators. i thought to be a good idea to gather all the information in a separate thread. here some popular indicators that i know to repaint:

• Zigzags
    • SilverTrend
    • all Fisher, Solar and what ever they are called
    • BrainTrend indicators: be carefull, Brain indicators are repainting even if not very frequently but they repaint. So be carefull
    • Biskov Trend
    • XpMA

hope others can add some more of them,

tsdpka

I would estimate that 98% of all indicators in existence repaint themselves. I have about 3,000 versions of them in my library. If they did not repaint, it would be easy to create an EA from them. Unfortunately, the vast majority repaint.

I wish it was easy - I have spent 3 years trying to nail down a solid ea.

Dave

P.S. My suggestion: Either create a ea program that goes out to H4 or Daily whereby there is room for the indicator to stay the same color, or create one that analyzes the 1 min as a scalper.

tsdpka:
There has been a lot of discussion regarding repainting indicators. i thought to be a good idea to gather all the information in a separate thread. here some popular indicators that i know to repaint:
    • Zigzags
    • SilverTrend
    • all Fisher, Solar and what ever they are called
    • BrainTrend indicators: be carefull, Brain indicators are repainting even if not very frequently but they repaint. So be carefull
    • Biskov Trend
    • XpMA

hope others can add some more of them,

tsdpka

First of all I want to say that all the indicators are re-painting open bar.

If people are talking about re-painting so it is related to close bar, or previous bars.

Thus:

- Zigzag indicator must re-paint otherwise it is not zigzag. It was created especially to re-paint.

- SilverTrend - no idea. I know that SilverTrendsignal is not re-painting.

- There are Fisher indicators which are not re-painting. Not all Fisher indicators ae re-painting. One or two Fisher indicators created by Igorad are not re-painting.

- BrainTrading indicators are not re-painting. There are EA from BrainTrading indicators as custom indicators. Indicators are not re-painting.

- BykovTrendsignal indicator is not re-painting.

- XpMA? No idea. I did not try, sorry.

- Float ndicator is re-painting.

- All MTF indicators may re-paint. All.

- PriceTrend and PriceTrender indicators are re-painting.

- be carefully with some version of NRTR and NRTR_line: some unfixed versions are re-painting (probable NRTR_1 or something like that). It was fixed by Beluck 2 times and now seems fine so check asctrend thread for that.

98% of indicators are not re-painting the past/previous bars.

Feedback

ND,

you are right about the fisher version that doesnt repaint. i forgot to mention it. i was just referring to the majority of all other versions.

But SilverTrend, BrainTrend and Bykov Trend repaint for sure. Its very easy to verify it when running forward simulations from previous days at low time frames.

regards

Some people confused: re-painting or not re-painting?

It is very easy to check.

For example D1 timeframe. Attach indicator to the chart. Do you see arrow for 2 days ago bar? Close Metatrader and open Metatrader tomorrow. Do you see same arrow 3 days ago? If no so it re-painting.

Of course people are cheking with M1 timeframe and probable some pairs as GBPJPY or GBPCHF. D1 timeframe is bad example of course.

About MTF indicators (Multi Timeframe Indicators). Some people said that MTF indicators are not re-painting and they are right. The other people said that MTF indicators are re-painting and they are right as well. Because MTF indicators are re-painting open bar. Re-painting the open bar is not re-painting at all. But if we attach MTF indicator to the chart (for example, MTF indicator with H1 settings to M15 chart) so MTF indicator will re-paint H1 open bar on M15 timeframe, right? So, that is why MTF indicators are something different. All MTF indicators re-paint open bar as any other indicators.

tsdpka:
ND,

you are right about the fisher version that doesnt repaint. i forgot to mention it. i was just referring to the majority of all other versions.

But SilverTrend, BrainTrend and Bykov Trend repaint for sure. Its very easy to verify it when running forward simulations from previous days at low time frames.

regards

SilverTrend_signal, BykovTrend_signal and all the BrainTrading indicators are not re-painting.

I don't know about SilverTrend. May be there are many versions of this Silvertrend. I am talking about SilverTrend_signal created by Alex Silver as part of his very popular trading system.

I am talking about:

Asctrend_sig (american asctrend indicator) = BykovTrend_sig (russian "asctrend" from alpari forum) = SilverTrend_sig (russian "asctrend" as well). Those indicators are not re-painting.

I know that some Russian indicators were re-coded by some other forums so may be those re-coded versions are re-painting. But original versions were created by russians and converted from MT3 to MT4 by Russians (together with BrainTrading indicators) and indicators are not re-painting.

May be, as I said there are some other versions. I know that there are some other SilverTrend indcators so it may re-paint.

BrainTrading indicators are not re-painting. Igorad created EA from Braintrading indicators and indicators are not re-painting just for sure.

The "question" is about how to create EA from Braintrading as it is not simple and one or 2 indicators should be re-coded (and it was done already).

But BT indicators are not re-painting. There was some bug with BTsig2 indicator (not refreshing sometimes) but it was fixed already by one coder and by Igorad (latest BT versions). All indicators versions were posted in BrainSystem section.

As to XpMA so there is EA (Xp_EMAs). Codersguru coded and posted it to elite section long time ago. But he coded XpMA indicator inside EA so this EA is not using any indicator.

May be this XpMA re-painting so I do not know.I did not check sorry.

newdigital:
SilverTrend_signal, BykovTrend_signal and all the BrainTrading indicators are not re-painting.

I don't know about SilverTrend. May be there are many versions of this Silvertrend. I am talking about SilverTrend_signal created by Alex Silver as part of his very popular trading system.

I am talking about:

Asctrend_sig (american asctrend indicator) = BykovTrend_sig (russian "asctrend" from alpari forum) = SilverTrend_sig (russian "asctrend" as well). Those indicators are not re-painting.

I know that some Russian indicators were re-coded by some other forums so may be those re-coded versions are re-painting. But original versions were created by russians and converted from MT3 to MT4 by Russians (together with BrainTrading indicators) and indicators are not re-painting.

May be, as I said there are some other versions. I know that there are some other SilverTrend indcators so it may re-paint.

BrainTrading indicators are not re-painting. Igorad created EA from Braintrading indicators and indicators are not re-painting just for sure.

The "question" is about how to create EA from Braintrading as it is not simple and one or 2 indicators should be re-coded (and it was done already).

But BT indicators are not re-painting. There was some bug with BTsig2 indicator (not refreshing sometimes) but it was fixed already by one coder and by Igorad (latest BT versions). All indicators versions were posted in BrainSystem section.

ND,

thx for the feedback but for the versions that i have, i found out that while these indicators seem to be stable when applied to lower volatility pairs, once applying them to high volatility currency and especially during strong market volatility days (like in august 07) they can satrt repainting. Could you please attach here the versions that you think not to repaint in order to check them again and compare to those that proved to be repainting ?

thx a lot

Because most of them repaint, we'd better return to the basic indicators' moving averages ? He..he...

tsdpka:
ND,

thx for the feedback but for the versions that i have, i found out that while these indicators seem to be stable when applied to lower volatility pairs, once applying them to high volatility currency and especially during strong market volatility days (like in august 07) they can satrt repainting. Could you please attach here the versions that you think not to repaint in order to check them again and compare to those that proved to be repainting ?

thx a lot

SilverTrend_sig and BykovTrend_sig are used during the many many years and no one reported about re-paiting. Those indicators are not re-painting.

BrainTrading indicators are not re-painting as well: Australian all-in-one set and Igorad's set as well. Not re-painting.

I am checking it right now for M1 timeframe, 07th of August, GBPJPY using trading simulator from here https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/general

Files:

Repainting issues

newdigital:
SilverTrend_sig and BykovTrend_sig are used during the many many years and no one reported about re-paiting. Those indicators are not re-painting.

BrainTrading indicators are not re-painting as well: Australian all-in-one set and Igorad's set as well. Not re-painting.

I am checking it right now for M1 timeframe, 07th of August, GBPJPY using trading simulator from here https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/general

ND

the bykovTrend_sig doesnt refresh when using it in live mode and you have to reload the charts all the time to get it updated. thatswhy i call it "repainting". the arrows after chart reloading are different than before chart reloading. the brainTrend2Sig attached here, applied for audusd, eurjpy on dates like 17/8, 29/8, 30/8 does repaint.

please attach here the versions you are currently testing and you think not to repaint and i'll check them again.

thx a lot

Files:
Reason: